Wednesday 3 September 2014

Holiday Day 5: A Red Squirell and Other Animals

After last nights early night, woke up reasonably early, all rested and keen to be virtuous and go out for a run. Then I looked out the window and saw the people walking past with umbrellas and retreated back to bed. Half an hour later the rain was stopping and I convinced myself to go out for a short run. Towards the end of the run I found a nice park with wooded paths and whilst running down one a red squirrel decided to cross the path jus in front of me, the first time I have seen a re squirrel in real life. How the virtuous are rewarded.
After a shower went down to breakfast to undone the good of my run by enjoying a buffet of cheese, fruit, cold meats, smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, mushrooms and Danish pastries.
The weather seemed to be staying dry, if grey and cloudy so we decided to go to the zoo. Disappointingly the brown bear was having some gardening done so wasn't out. However we did get to see the polar bears, one adult with two young ones. I thought they were cute and fluffy, Andrew didn't agree.  Opposite the polar bears were the sea lions including one baby. The old adults were sat on the rocks posing like old pros, whilst the baby was struggling to get out of the water, it reminded me of trying to get out of the swimming pool without using the steps as a child.
The elephant house is still in the process of being rebuilt but the elephant herd was out and about. Elephants always look like gentle giants to me. In the monkey house the orang utangs were putting on a good show. There was a baby one that kept trying to escape the nest and climb a rope but kept getting grabbed by it's parent and pulled back. There was also an empty plastic barrel in the enclosure. I never knew such a thing could provide so much entertainment to two orang utangs as they hid in it, rolled round in it and tried to grab each other and pull the one outside in.
After walking round the zoo, feet were feeling a bit sore so we headed back to the hotel for a break. Once we were feeling more recovered we headed into the centre of town for that great German tradition of coffee and cake. We managed to get a table in Somers, which I consider to have one of best selections of cake in Munich.  We ordered and both drinks and Andrew's cake arrived, but there was no sign of my rum torte. I drank my coffee and still no sign of cake, eventually I reminded the waiter and shortly after it appeared and was very good.
After the cake we went to sample that other great German tradition, beer. After Augustiner am Dom and Le Clou we went to Augustiner am Platzl were they had "beer from the wood" that is beer poured by gravity dispense from a barrel behind the bar.
After sampling the delights of "beer from the wood" we decided it was time for food. On a previous visit we had had a drink at place near the hotel, which seemed very local and nice, and decided to try the food there. It was a good choice. The side salads were crisp and lush. I had steak cooked with crispy onions which was melt in the mouth delicious. It came with potatoes that reminded me of how delicious potatoes can taste. Andrew had a pepper steak which he also declared as very good. This was followed by pancakes with cream and ice cream, and a free schnapps that came in a glass shaped like a chemistry flask.
Feeling full and slightly merry we headed back to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment